Iran’s foreign minister slams the US administration’s “desperate attempts” to impose its pro-Israel “peace” plan on Palestine, saying any initiative that would ignore the rights of the Palestinian nation in favor of the occupying Tel Aviv regime is doomed to failure.
Speaking at the Palestine committee of the Non-Aligned Movement in Caracas, Venezuela, late on Saturday, Mohammad Javad Zarif said “anyinitiative that would forgo international law and run counter to the Palestinians’ human and political rights would not succeed, would be unfair and would undoubtedly fail with humiliation.”
Zarif was referring to a so-called peace deal being drawn up by the administration of US President Donald Trump with the intention of ending the decades-long Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Several leaks indicate that the plan — which Trump calls the ‘deal of the century’ — is hugely biased towards Israel and seems more to be aimed at consolidating the Tel Aviv regime’s occupation of Palestinian territories.
Last month, the US held a conference in Bahrain, where Trump’s son-in-law and senior advisor — who has been compiling the plan — unveiled the economic portion of the initiate, in what Palestinians called a “humiliating blackmail.”
Palestinians of all political leanings in blockaded Gaza and the occupied West Bank have rejected Trump’s deal as “the slap of the century.” They had also boycotted Bahrain’s confab.
Zarif further said the Americans “are under this illusion that [Palestine’s] peace and economic welfare could materialize without addressing the occupation, which lies at the heart of the Palestine issue.”
The US, he added, is now bent denying the Palestinians their legitimate rights, especially their right to decide their own fate.
“The US’s absolute support for the occupying regime would only encourage the Zionists to further trample on international law, commit human rights violations and atrocities against the Palestinians” and keep up their occupation, the Iranian minister noted.
He further said unless the occupation comes to an end, there will never be peace.
“Peace could only be established through ending the occupation and apartheid system and through allowing the Palestinians to have an independent government of their own,” he added.
Zarif also called on the international community to take serious and immediate measures towards holding Israel accountable and punishing the regime for its rights violations and crimes.
He also made a special call for the Non-Aligned Movement to help foil the plots aimed at diverting attention from the Palestinian cause to insignificant issues.
- Mueller report shows Trump committed crimes: Top Dem
- Problem-plagued US F-35 jets hit with new issue
- Rocket attack by Syria militants kills 2 in Damascus
- Any initiative ignoring Palestinians’ rights will fail: Zarif
- Japan’s Abe claims victory in upper house elections
- IRGC cmdr.: Trump lied big on shooting down Iran drone
- Trump: Congresswomen ‘should apologize to America’
- Hong Kong protesters attack Chinese liaison office
- ‘ICC must probe Israeli threats to raze al-Quds homes’
- Watch: Press TV reporter boards seized UK-flagged tanker
- ‘Iran has no assets for potential freeze in UK’
- ‘US-backed SDF militants caught smuggling Daesh women’
- Iran confirms Saudi release of detained oil tanker
- Iran’s cotton output to surge by 15%: Official
SHARE THIS POST