London Bridge attacker had been convicted of terrorism offences but released last year

LONDON (Reuters) – The 28-year-old British man who killed two people in a stabbing spree on London Bridge before police shot him dead had previously been convicted of terrorism offences and was released from prison last year.

Sporting a fake suicide vest and wielding knives, Usman Khan went on the rampage just before 2 p.m. on Friday at a rehabilitation conference beside London Bridge. He was wrestled to the ground by bystanders and then shot dead by police.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who has called a snap election for Dec. 12 and is due to host NATO leaders including U.S. President Donald Trump next week, said it was a terrorist attack and said Britain would never be cowed.

Khan, whose family hails from Pakistan-controlled Kashmir, was convicted in 2012 for his part in an al-Qaeda-inspired plot to blow up the London Stock Exchange but was released in December 2018 subject to conditions.

“This individual was known to authorities, having been convicted in 2012 for terrorism offences,” Britain’s top counter-terrorism police officer, Neil Basu, said in a statement.

“Clearly, a key line of enquiry now is to establish how he came to carry out this attack,” Basu said.

Two people – a man and a woman – were killed in the attack. In addition, a man and two women were injured and remain in hospital, Basu said.

Britain’s security minister Brandon Lewis said police are not looking for any other suspects over the attack.

During the 2017 election campaign, London Bridge was the scene of an attack when three militants drove a van into pedestrians and then attacked people in the surrounding area, killing eight and injuring at least 48.

Islamic State said its fighters were responsible, but the British authorities have cast doubt on those claims. The attack focused attention on cuts to policing since the governing Conservatives took power in 2010.

ELECTION ATTACK

Friday’s attack, just 13 days before an election that could decide the fate of Brexit and the world’s fifth largest economy, prompted political leaders to scale back campaigning.

The focus of campaigning is likely to shift from Brexit and the health service to crime.

“This country will never be cowed, or divided, or intimidated by this sort of attack,” Johnson told reporters in Downing Street. He also praised the bravery of bystanders who tackled Khan to the ground.

A video posted on Twitter showed police dragging one man off the suspect before an officer took careful aim. Two shots rang out. The man stopped moving.

Opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn said he was horrified by the attack.

“We must and we will stand together to reject hatred and division,” said Corbyn, who opinion polls show trails Johnson.

Writing by Costas Pitas and Guy Faulconbridge; Editing by Sandra Maler, Leslie Adler and Toby Chopra

MORE NEWS

 

Hong Kong seniors take to streets to back students as activists decry police

Protesters burn tyres in southern Iraq in renewed anti-government rage

UniCredit agrees to cut stake in Turkey’s Yapi Kredi to below 32%

China arrests Belizean, Taiwanese citizens over alleged meddling in Hong Kong affairs

Police shoot London killer dead, call stabbings a terrorist attack

UK minister says police not looking for more suspects after London attack – Sky News

Facebook issues corrective label on user’s post under new Singapore fake news law

Facebook issues corrective label on user’s post under new Singapore fake news law

From a box to a coffin: The long and deadly road home for Vietnamese migrants

New Zealand gun owners stage protest over tighter controls

Australia moves closer to compulsory child abuse reporting by priests

China’s factory activity unexpectedly returns to growth in November

Peru opposition leader Keiko Fujimori walks free from jail

No phones, scripted tweets – How Trump’s Afghanistan trip was kept under wraps

Guatemala to try more former top military officials for Maya genocide

Vietnam receives remains of all British truck victims

Brazil’s president accuses actor DiCaprio of paying to burn the Amazon

Japan government mulls over $92 billion stimulus package to spur growth – Nikkei

Suriname President Bouterse convicted of murder for 1982 executions

SHARE THIS POST