Salvini prevails as NGO ship abandons plan to dump migrants in Italy

The German-based NGO Sea-Eye have declared that they will not contest Matteo Salvini’s closed port policy, choosing instead to change the ship’s course and head to Malta to land the migrants.

Last Friday, the Alan Kurdi, one of Sea-Eye’s migrant transport boats, said that it would be changing its course from the Italian island of Lampedusa in order to make its way toward the Maltese port of Valetta instead, Il Giornale reports.

Sea-Eye spokesman Gordon Isler claimed that the NGO would “not offer Matteo Salvini another opportunity for such an unworthy show. We take our responsibilities to the saved people seriously and now we go to Malta.”

Last week, Spanish migrant transport NGO Proactiva Opens Arms also announced that it had collected 123 migrants, and rather than heading to closer ports in North Africa, announced that it was setting sail toward Europe. The NGO did not specify which country they would be headed toward.

Following the announcement, Matteo Salvini, Italy’s national populist interior minister, and de-facto leader, immediately banned the ship from docking at any of Italy’s ports.

Last month saw several migrant transport NGOs resume their efforts to aid in the illegal invasion of the European continent.

Doctors Without Borders partnered with France’s SOS Méditerranée announced the beginning of a new migrant transport mission off the coast of Libya after they halted operations last December.

Their new ship, the Ocean Viking, said Friday that it would embark from the port of Marseille and head toward Libya. The Ocean Viking flies a Norwegian flag and is said to cost 14,000 euros per day to operate. As many as 300 migrants can be carried on the vessel at one time.

The organization has claimed to have successfully transported 30,000 migrants since beginning its operations in 2016.

SHARE THIS POST