In a fresh outburst of xenophobic violence in Johannesburg, at least one person has been killed after police clashed with looters. The violence follows a week of attacks on migrant-owned businesses in South Africa.
Security forces in Johannesburg confronted looters with stun grenades and rubber bullets on Sunday, in an attempt to break up crowds targeting migrant-owned businesses in the city’s Central Business District. At least one person was killed and five others were injured.
The violence is the latest in a slew of anti-migrant attacks in South Africa’s biggest city and elsewhere in the country. At least 10 people have been killed in the attacks, which have also sparked protests in several other African nations.
Police later put out a tweet stating that the situation had been brought under control.
Police spokesperson Xlolani Fihla confirmed the fatality to news agency Agence France-Presse following Sunday’s unrest, though was unable to confirm the cause of death.
‘Totally unacceptable’: Ramaphosa
Sunday’s violence follows a week of attacks on migrant-owned businesses in South Africa, followed by reprisal attacks on South African businesses in Nigeria. South Africa has temporarily closed its embassies in Nigeria in response to the reprisal attacks.
In a video address on Twitter on Thursday, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa said attacks on businesses run by “foreign nationals is something totally unacceptable, something that we cannot allow to happen in South Africa.”
Critics, however, have said the government has failed to address the serious problem of xenophobia in the country.